This is what I’ve worked on the past two afternoons, thought I should share with you. No it didn’t take me all of two afternoons, was worked on in between other stuff. Multi-tasking!
I started this project around a year ago, it was a take-a-long project with no deadline. No deadline and no pressure equals fun for me.
I had a trip to NYC in January to work on fabric lines, this project went with me, I stitched on it in the evenings, I was at the point of sewing flowers together to create diagonal rows. Had an unexpected delay in Chicago O’Hare, a 7 hour delay, lucky for me I had this in my carry on (I always have sewing in my carry on along with a book). I had an extended opportunity to sew! I found a quiet gate – the amazing thing was the gate stayed quiet all the time I was there – lucky me. I stitched, watched some snow removal, had a Starbucks, wasn’t bad at all. When I got home I almost had a top.
The project rested, then I decided it was time to finish adding hexagons to the edges where needed, mission accomplished, then was interrupted with other stuff and once again this rested.
Finally it was time to complete the top, had to study it for a while to figure out how to proceed. I’ve never finished a hexi project, so I was flying by you know what. Logic is a good thing to use when faced with things like this. I knew I would have to remove the edge papers, so I gave the top a good pressing with steam first. Then I removed stitches and edge papers very carefully so as to not stretch anything.
Next, trim away excess of the hexagons to have a nice edge.
You will have two opposite borders to trim like this. Notice that I have the 1/4″ marks lined up, so that when I sew the border to the top, my sewing line will be in the correct position. Yes it looks weird, but trust me.
You will have 2 remaining sides like this, to trim away. My hexagons are 5/8″, so I had to think about where I was cutting so that my seam allowance would be down the center of the hexagon.
This is a portion of my quito top, cropped to show you what the two sides looked like trimmed.
Next step, is to press the edges outwards so I can sew the border to the top.
I measured across my top at both ends, then cut two borders to this one length (mine were the same because I didn’t pull or stretch the top), I pinned about every 1 1/2″ to 2″, pinned closely so nothing would stretch. I carefully pressed the seam allowance toward the border. I measured across my top including the first borders at both ends, then cut two borders to this one length, Again I pinned about every 1 1/2″ to 2″, sewed, then carefully pressed the seam allowance toward the border.
In this picture I’ve sewn the border to the quilt top, now I will trim away the little tips that protrude. See how easy this is!
I’ve pressed the seam allowance toward the border – looks nice doesn’t it.
You can do this too!
Here is my finished quilt top – I really love how this turned out. It measures 35″ x 40″.
I ‘think’ I’m just going to add a backing, no batting, I’m not sure yet. Or I ‘may’ hand quilt this and finish with binding. No deadline, will figure it out one of these days. In the meantime it will be draped over the drying rack at the studio – a quilt top in waiting.
Hopefully this will encourage you to proceed with your hexagon project! Happy Stitching!